Read the report of the Summer School 2019 here.
Global View for Local Progress.
Development of Post-Mining-Infrastructures
Under the title „Glocal“ Sustainability – Global View for local Progress our RMS Summer School offers an international environment for the participants, covering the topic „Development of post-mining infrastructures“, which is investigated and discussed by experts and national and international participants. A poster presentation on the last day, gives the opportunity to discuss the results and experiences and for some networking. A jury nominates the best poster presentation.
The Ruhr-Area mining industry has been the driving force of Germany’s industry, providing jobs for hundred thousands of people. Due to globalisation and therefore an increased competition as well as alternative energy resources, the mining industry has decreased steadily over the past 50 years. The job reallocation, the development of the mine premises and the adjustment of the educational system are only some of the challenges faced during the structural change [1, 2, 3].
International students have the opportunity to apply for financial support to cover their travel expenses. picture_as_pdf
Pre-Week 22.7 - 26.7
The Pre-Week is for international students to…
… get to know the area
… get a feel for the German language and culture
… visit sights and places which shape the area
… meet locals and students from around the world
… be accompanied by a local student buddy
… feel welcome and guided
Schedule for Pre-Week:
|13:00-17:00||Free Time/ Buddy Time||Excursion "Zeche Zollverein"||Excursion "Verein Arena"||Free Time/ Buddy Time||Free Time|
|18:00-19:00||Bus-Sightseeing Tour Gelsenkirchen||Free Time/ Buddy Time||Free Time/ Buddy Time||Free Time/ Buddy Time||Pot Luck|
Main-Week 29.07 - 02.08
Summer School participants get to take the advantage of participating in:
• Soft skill workshops for successful group work
• Impulse talks about mining and mining infrastructures in general, challenges and structural change in general by national and international experts
• Fruitful discussions
Due to its interdisciplinarity and internationality the Summer School environment facilitates cultural exchange.
- Monday 29.07.2019 arrow_drop_down
- Meet and Greet arrow_drop_downWe are happy to welcome you at our Campus at the Westfälische Hochschule in Gelsenkirchen. Sign-Up and receive your welcome package. Meet the RMS Summer School Team and the other participants.
- Intercultural Training arrow_drop_downAn intercultural training prepares you not only for the Summer School with participants from different cultures and countries, but also for your future work environment.
- Presentation Skills Workshop arrow_drop_downWhether you have already done a scientific poster or not, this workshop provides the basic structure and the display aspects of a poster presentation to win the poster competition with your group.
- Tuesday 30.07.2019 arrow_drop_down
- Excursion Grubenwasser Leitwarte Zeche Pluto arrow_drop_downEnjoy a guided tour at “Zeche Pluto”, the former biggest and high-performance stone coal mine in the world and the greatest central coking plant in Europe.
- Impulse Talk arrow_drop_downImpulse Talk by Dr.-Ing. Dipl.-Wirt.Ing. Stefan Möllerherm about „Challenges of structural Change“
- Group work arrow_drop_downKick-off group work
- Wednesday 31.07.2019 arrow_drop_down
- Impulse Talk arrow_drop_downGet firsthand information from our experts on mining, post-mining development, the challenges and the opportunities that arise with the structural change.
Listen to a presentation on geothermal energy by Prof. Dr. Backers.
Look at the post-mining changes from the city councils (Herten) point of view.
- Group Work arrow_drop_downContinue to work in your groups and find innovative approaches and solutions for the conversion and future usage of mining facilities.
- Thursday 01.08.2019 arrow_drop_down
- Excursion Zeche Ewald (Hydrogen-Competence-Center) arrow_drop_downLearn more about the hydrogen copetence center at the former mining plant „Ewald“.
- Group Work arrow_drop_downContinue to work in your assigned groups and find innovative approaches and solutions for the conversion and future usage of mining facilities.
Today you will be handing in your poster for printing.
- Friday 02.08.2019 arrow_drop_downLet`s reflect the week together and find out what was easy and where you found challenges and why. Present your posters to the other participants and win the prize. At the following Farewell-Lunch we can all come together and enjoy some food and drinks in the sun.
Application Deadline: 31.05.2019
Studierende aus der Region bitte hier registrieren!